Christians often live in the same neighbourhood without ever knowing each other. Streetprayer's main goal is to help them find one other, spend time together in fellowship, praise and prayer, and encourage neighbours to join in.
HOW IT WORKS - ONE SUGGESTION TO GET STARTED:
Decide on what area you would like to visit - your street, 100 or 1000 homes around you, etc.
- Pray for at least one other Christian neighbour to work and pray together with you.
- Put on an event. We began in 2007 visiting every home on our street of about a hundred houses, inviting residents to a prayer breakfast. We worked together with one family on the street and a couple of young people. Twenty people came to the first event, including two people who didn’t go to church; one was recently widowed and became part of the Christian community in the area.
- From your first gathering, form a team of workers and pray together about what event to do next. We’ve found it's essential to plan an event to invite people to. The second event could be anything from:
- A prayer breakfast - we started with monthly ones on our street and these spread to the streets around us.
- A big event for the whole area around you - perhaps taking in about 3000 homes. We try to find a neutral hall rather than a church building as that encourages Christians from all churches to come and bring their friends. However in 2018 we did an event in an area of Oxford called Rose Hill; there was no community hall available so the Methodist Church there kindly lent us their building. We leafleted about 4000 homes and visited about 300. About 40 people came to the first event and a team is now established in the area to pray and put on events in the future. This year we did another Rose Hill breakfast but used the community centre. About 50 people came and there is now an on-going prayer group run Rose Hill trying to move things forward. There is also interest in the surrounding areas of Iffley and Temple Cowley.
Saturday 9th May 2020 Big Breakfast Day and World Streetprayer Day: Trying to encourage all neighbourhoods everywhere to put on an event and invite their neighbours to get to know each other, pray and sing together.
We hope that this page helps to inspire you! It's not our intention to form a big organisation but rather to try to motivate Christians everywhere to get together with their neighbours and get to know each other, pray, sing and reach out together. We have found this very fruitful in the past and can recommend these type of events.
If you decide to do so or need help or prayer for your event we'd love to hear from you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write a comment below:
Big Breakfast Day 2010
I never really used to say hello to that many neighbours, except for my immediate ones, but now I know lots of people on the street.
I really enjoy meeting new people at the street breakfasts, it’s refreshing and is creating a more caring community based on helping each other.
Streetprayer is important to me because it’s all about building community, and community with God as the centre
(Last updated 3rd January 2019)
For Streetprayer events please enquire using the form on the contact page.